30 June 2011

More Bags! (2004-2011)

 
This maroon bag was an attempt to use up the rest of the maroon yarn I had... unfortunately I only had enough to make the bag plus one handle... so I took the one maroon handle off and finished in black.  I started at the top and worked my way down, and it's all double crocheted except for the last 6 or so rows which are shell stitched (that's why it looks bigger at the bottom).  

Really all you need to make a bag is yarn and a crochet hook that works with that yarn.  If you want to add some flavor to your bag you can use different colors and/or switch up your stitches.  For a flat bag (working from top to bottom), the firs step is to chain stitches until you have twice the length you want for one side plus about 5 stitches and and connect them with slip stitch.  From there you can use single crochet, double crochet, and triple crochet.  If you're adventurous, you can use the shell stitch, bubble stitch, and other stitches to give the bag a different look or break in the mundane.  Each row (or round) should have the same number of stitches as the previous row and then be connected back to the beginning with a slip stitch to make a loop.  Each subsequent row should begin with a chain stitch (as your first stitch).  For single crochets, chain 2; for double crochets, chain 3; and for triple crochets, chain 4.  At the end you can tie your bag shut at the bottom with slip stitches or single crochet stitches.  Don't forget the handles!  Those are easily made... usually about 5 or 6 stitches wide about 2 to 3 inches from the side (depending on the size of the bag), crochet using the same stitches you used for the body (or just single stitches if you want something basic) back and forth like your basic blanket until you have a length you want.  Do the same for the second handle!  And weave in the ends!



I made this bag several years ago and I really like the way this it came out!  Honestly, though I never really used it much.  Once again, I used up some extra yarn I had laying around, somehow, though, it seems to work better that way!

This multi-colored, flat bag was made from bottom to top.  I chained for how wide I wanted the bag to be, plus about 5 stitches.  Next, I single crocheted along one side of the chain, added two extra stitches in the end, then single crocheted around to the bottom what I previously crocheted (working on the bottom of the chain stitch) and kept single crocheting along until I got to the other end, added two more single crochets in the end stitch and connected the first row with a slip stitch.  From there, chain 2 and single crochet all the way around for each subsequent row (or round) until it is a bag that is tall enough.  For the handles, measure about 2 inches or so from the side and crochet 5 or 6 single crochets and continue crocheting back and forth until the handle is long enough.  Repeat with the same number of stitches and rows for the second handle!  Weave in the ends!




This beach bag was another "use it up" project for my thicker yarn.  I really didn't have a plan when I started, but it ended well!  And the best part about this bag is that after I ran out of yarn I found two more balls of similar weight yarn in with some other yarn where it wasn't supposed to be!  God knew I was going to make this project and put the extra yarn in the right place for me to find when I needed it!!  And isn't it great that the handles tie back into the bottom of the bag?  This bag was made like the second one from this post, from the bottom up!




Another little experiment with extra yarn.  I wanted to see what I could do with the shell stitch and single crochet in the middle of double crochets for a bag.  I think it works out well, even if it is a small bag.  Working from the bottom to the top, I used a brighter blue for the bottom, a darker blue for the body, and a steel blue for the handles.  This little blue bag was made from the bottom up like the previous two from this post.  


To note: the first three bags of this post are currently being used as grocery bags.  I can't wait until I get a few more made!  Some will probably be crocheted, but others will definitely be sewn!  I am excited about using the French seam my good friend taught me before I had to leave South Carolina!


Enjoy!  God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment