23 June 2011

Humble Beginnings

In the beginning there was crochet.  Later knitting and sewing were added.  Little do I know about tatting, but that is not in my "bag of tricks," so to speak.  Now I would like to share with you my adventures in crocheting, knitting, and sewing.  I'll start with the beginning and hope I remember most of it.

My origins in yarn work started with my mom and my great-grandmother teaching me the basics when I was old enough to hold a crochet hook... maybe 6 years old.  My first crocheted project was a multi-colored blanket that was completely uneven on the sides.  I don't remember much else about the early years, except for the fact that my tension was inconsistent and I had two teachers.

Knitting came when my mom tried to learn to knit herself.  She bought a beginners book, a set of knitting needles, and some yarn.  After some time (a couple of weeks) and she still couldn't get it she expressed her frustration and threatened to throw the stuff out!  I asked if I could try and she said yes, gave me the book, needles, and yarn, then told me to go away.  30 minutes later, I came out of my room with a little knitted square.  Needless to say, Mom was not happy, not that she wasn't impressed, she just wasn't happy that she couldn't get it and I could.

Sewing was a different adventure.  I learned how to use a sewing machine's "go" pedal and "back-up" button.... and that was about it.  Sewing on a button was natural and required little to no explanation, so that is all I remember.  My first sewing "projects" were "handkerchiefs."  I don't know that they actually came out very good at all... but we all have to start somewhere!

Now, to begin my search for the beginning projects I still have and upload pictures!!

Blessings,
Tabi

No comments:

Post a Comment