18 July 2011

Sewing... Finally!! - July 2011



And this is my first sewing project in a while!  I have made 2 skirts (both wrap around) and sewn my husband's patches onto his uniforms... but beyond that I don't have much experience.  SO!  I believe you will believe me when I say that I am particularly proud of how this one turned out!  I only wish I had taken pictures during the process so I could show a little more of what I did!!

Step 1: I took a long piece of fabric (the boots) and cut another long piece of fabric (the denim) to a length I thought would work for a bag.  The bottom is not sewn, it's the "folded" part of the materials.
Step 2: I sewed the boots fabric onto the denim fabric.  (The boots fabric is really thin and I didn't want a good size bag to tear on me because of a poor choice in fabrics so I doubled it up!)
Step 3: I cut the handles and sewed them.  First in half lengthwise, then folded the other side in and made two "seams" along each side of the handle.
Step 4: I sewed the tops (both ends of the fabrics) over while having the handles tucked under the folds.  This created a seam for the top of the bag.
Step 5: I sewed up the sides of the bag.  Now I have a flat bag with handles that looks kinda funny!
Step 6: I sewed the "bottom" of the bag.  Taking the fold of the bag while it's flat and *in-side-out*, I lined that up with the seam I sewed up the side of the bag and created a triangle which I sewed across (on each side) to make the bottom square.
Step 7: I hand-sewed any loose parts together (my machine doesn't handle extreme thickness well so I havd to do some by hand).
Step 8: I hand tacked the handles to the inside of the bag so they wouldn't fall back into the bag or cause the top to be droopy.  Also, the hand-tacking allowed me to sew the handles without letting the thread being shown on the front or outside.

Enjoy and Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment