18 November 2021

Adventures in a Piecewise Baby Blanket

A sneak peak into my current craft and organization and everything else space this time shows the building of a piecewise baby blanket.  
 
This project stems from a few blocks that were given to me in a collection of things from my husband's grandmother, I believe.  (I have had them for a while.)   The center block and two matching blocks in the middle of the blanket, they are multi-colored with pink, blue, and white, were the blocks given to me.  All the rest I made to match the size of the first three blocks.  Other yarn colors were in my stash and after playing with the possible combinations, I set on this pattern.  

It took me months (off and on) to crochet most of these blocks.  It was a little here and a little there.  The last six blocks, pink and multi-colored pastel in the corners, were crocheted in about 2 or so weeks.  From there, the rest was accomplished over the course of another couple of weeks.  (I finally made this project a priority and knocked it out while my kiddo napped, an hour at a time.)
 

From there, I decided I wanted to play with a couple of ideas.  First, I played with tying the blocks together with an alternating single crochet run (basically, one stitch in one block, the second stitch in the adjoining block, alternating and leaving space space where the stitches laddered).  This created a definite front and back side to the blanket (beyond the typical front and back as crocheted).


After tying the center together I wanted to experiment with borders (that's the second thing).  There are some really pretty effects that can be made with yarn.  Sometimes it comes out better than others.  This one did pretty well overall, but is not obvious.  The border consists of a white strip, then a yellow strip, then a multi-colored pastel strip (it looks white in these pictures), then a pink edging (which was also the fourth thing I wanted to experiment). 


(Yes, I know I "skipped" the third thing, but it's easier to see in a later picture.)


When I put the blanket over the loveseat it really brought out the joining.  I am very pleased with the overall effect. 


Back to the third thing... if you look at the border, I put three sets of inverted peaks on each side.  The middle peaks are all larger than the others.  I thought it was a lovely accent to the overall piece (and baby-safe, too).  While the colors don't "pop" against each other, the subtle color shift is pretty cute.

 

Finally, back to the fourth thing, the rounded corners turned out really well.  It worked out nicely for the counting, too, since each shell spans 5 stitches from the previous row.  That is to say, I had minimal "fudging" for the shells to line up at the corners to make the rounded corners. 


I'm not sure where this blanket will go from here, but I am glad I took the time to make it.  

 

Blessings and Peace!

Tabitha

Tabi's Creating Adventures

 

If you would like more information, feel free to connect with me at one of the mediums below:

TabisCreatingAdventures@gmail.com

www.facebook.com/TabisCreatingAdventures

tenacious141b (Instagram)

https://payhip.com/TabiElrod
 

No comments:

Post a Comment